Healthy Hydration: Water, water, water...
Ever wondered how much water you should consume? Ever wondered why water is so important?
Nowadays, as we are busy trying to push ourselves to the limit, moving around frantically in a bustling city, working long hours and looking after our families, we often forget the one thing that helps to keep our body in good working and alive.
A steady and consistent intake of water throughout the day helps keep our mind clear and our body in motion. It also helps to keep a smile on your face, because when your mouth is dry, it’s hard for your lips to glide open and reveal those pearly whites!
Water comprises more than half your body weight – 50-70% of you is water! Two-thirds of that water is found within your cells, the other third is in your blood vessels and between the cells, tissues and organs of your body. For a rough estimate, about 75-80% of your water intake should come from beverages, whilst the other 15-20% comes from foods like fruit and vegetables that contain water.
Here's the goal: You should aim to drink a minimum of 1.2L a day, which amounts to about large 6-8 glasses. This can include all kinds of waters, from sparkling to still water to flavoured water without any artificial flavouring. Try and monitor your hydration by checking your thirst. Feeling thirsty doesn’t just mean that you need water; it means that you’ve needed it for a while. Thirst is the body’s way of saying it has been too long.
Your urine is another way can read the signs of your body. What colour is your pee when you wake up and throughout the day? A pale yellow colour means you are well hydrated. Good! A dark yellow colour or infrequent urination suggest dehydration. Bad!
Are you dehydrated?
If you are feeling light headed, nauseated, constipated, tired, have muscle cramps, overly dry skin or a dry mouth, the answer may be to drink more water!
Here are a few tips to ensure you’re getting your daily intake of 1.2L of water:
- Always have a bottle of water to hand because you’re more likely to sip it that way.
- Switch to herbal teas from tea and coffee. Not always, but sometimes.
- Eat your water! Tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, radishes, peppers, celery and watermelon are all made up of at least 90% water, so your diet should regularly consist of these healthy fruit and veg.
- Infuse your water with fresh combinations like rosemary and grapefruit, lemon and ginger or strawberries and cucumber. It makes it more interesting and gives you a further health boost.
- Set regular alerts on your phone to remind to take a sip of water.
- Cook hearty soups as they are full of water.
- DON'T IGNORE YOUR THIRST!