Summer can be a tricky time for our skin – high temperatures, sun exposure, and humidity can wreak havoc on your pores and skin texture. Though we know there are few things better than feeling the sun on your face after a long, tough winter, we wanted to share some of our best tips on how to make sure you stay safe and protected heading into the hot season.
- Sun protection: We know you’ve probably heard this before, but the importance of wearing SPF whenever you’re out in the sun cannot be overstated. SPF blocks your face from the sun’s harmful rays, which can exacerbate premature ageing, cause discolouration and wrinkles and even cause skin cancer. It’s especially critical to protect the ultra-sensitive skin on your face.
- Don’t forget legs + feet: Something so many of us forget when switching from thick winter trousers to lighter summer clothes and shoes is to pay extra attention to our legs and feet. In the summer months, they tend to get a lot of exposure to the elements, so it’s important to moisturise, cleanse and exfoliate all over. Our Nourishing Hand + Body Moisturiser is packed with vitamins and natural extracts and great for keeping your skin nurtured through the summer and the Organic Restorative + Healing Foot Balm will help cool you down and keep you fresh. It's even better when you use it with an exfoliant like pumice stone.
- Exfoliate regularly: Because of increased sebum production and sweat that gathers on the face in the summer, it’s much easier for your pores to get clogged, which can cause breakouts and irritation. One way to combat this is to exfoliate a few times a week to keep your skin clean and pores unclogged. For smoother, cleaner skin all over, try our Rejuvenating Himalayan Body Scrub. If you need a little extra support detoxing your pores and fighting oil, our Purifying Soap has activated charcoal to help deeply cleanse the skin.
- Lightweight moisturising serums: Due to the humidity in the air, our skin naturally becomes more oily in the summer, with our sebaceous glands being much more active. For that reason, it’s okay to cut down on the heavy creams and thick moisturisers and swap out your richer products for more lightweight ones, like our Illuminating Avocado Face Oil.
- Vitamin C: Not only does vitamin C help with collagen production in your skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles for a more youthful glow, but it’s also an antioxidant, which means it protects your skin cells from free radicals caused by ultraviolet exposure. It’s a good idea to work vitamin C into your summer skincare routine when your exposure to the sun’s rays is likely more extensive. It can be found in oils like Grape Seed and Jojoba, like in our Illuminating Avocado Face Oil.
- Drink water: Hydration is really crucial when it comes to staying well during the summer. Not only does it keep your skin looking and feeling good, but it helps you stay energised and healthy when under the hot sun.